x = independently organized event
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TED Talks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized. (Subject to certain rules and regulations.)
TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. Started as a four-day conference in California 30 years ago, TED has grown to support its mission with multiple initiatives. The two annual TED Conferences invite the world’s leading thinkers and doers to speak for 18 minutes or less. Many of these talks are then made available, free, at TED.com. TED speakers have included Bill Gates, Jane Goodall, Elizabeth Gilbert, Sir Richard Branson, Nandan Nilekani, Philippe Starck, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Sal Khan and Daniel Kahneman.
The annual TED Conference takes place each spring in Vancouver, British Columbia. TED’s media initiatives include TED.com, where new TED Talks are posted daily; the Open Translation Project, which provides subtitles and interactive transcripts as well as translations from volunteers worldwide; the educational initiative TED-Ed. TED has established the annual TED Prize, where exceptional individuals with a wish to change the world get help translating their wishes into action; TEDx, which supports individuals or groups in hosting local, self- organized TED-style events around the world, and the TED Fellows program, helping world-changing innovators from around the globe to amplify the impact of their remarkable projects and activities.
TED is a group of the world’s most creative and inspiring thinkers. By forming a similar community at Nanyang Technological University, we hope to congregate innovative and socially conscious students and guests who are committed to bring a positive change in the society for better.
Through the event, we wish to expose potential change-makers in the NTU community to innovative speakers so that they can step into the world with dreams tat matter, ideas that can change the world and a renewed power to follow their ambitions.
The first TEDxNTU event was held on March 26th 2011 at one of the most beautiful and architecturally inspiring university campuses in the world. Second event happened on October 15th 2011 at Marina Bay Sands, third one on March 17th 2012 @ Lee Kong Chian Lecture theatre. The fourth event happened in 2013 on ‘The Luck Factor’ and the fifth event on ‘Life – What’s the point?’ in 2015.
TEDxNTU 2011 – 2012 Highlights
Media Coverage and Legacy
- March 17th 2012 event on ‘Happiness’ was featured in Channel News Asia (Close to 45 retweets & 430 facebook likes), Vasantham, TV, Channel 5, Suria TV. | Detail News
- All TEDxNTU events have been covered by NTU newspapers Tribune & Nanyang Chronicle.
- All TEDxNTU talks have been featured in TED website and youtube channel and has around 500 – 2500 views.
- Livestream of the March 26th 2011 event was done through IEEE Upp channel. It was the first ever TEDx event to be simulcasted across reputed universities including UC Berkeley CA, Caltech, Columbia U., Dartmouth, Drexel, U. Michigan, MIT, Stanford U., Texas A&M, UC Los Angeles CA, UC San Diego CA, Virginia Tech, Worcester Poly, Peking U., Tsingua U., IIT Kharagpua India, IISc Bangalore India.
- Organized the biggest ever TEDx event in Singapore with 13 ever speakers, all from different backgrounds.
- First ever TEDx in SE Asia to have TEDx labs, TEDxNTU Labs (All TEDx event had TEDx labs) an exhibition are near the conference where NTU students and outsiders showcased their innovations and creative ideas for the participants.
- During our March 26th 2011 event, A painting competition was conducted among school children and these paintings were used to decorate the stage & venue.
TEDxNTU Media – Press coverage
- Media reports (National, International TV & press) – Detail News
- Hey magazine Article – Article
- TEDxNTU talks on official TEDx youtube channel
- March 26th 2011 – Video
- October 15th 2011 – Video
- March 17th 2012 – Video
- TEDxNTU event info on TED conferences LLC website –
- March 26th 2011 – Information
- October 15th 2011 – Information
- March 17th 2012 – Information
- Nanyang Chronicle articles on TEDxNTU
- Page 4 –‘Meeting of the minds’ – Article
- Page 3 – ‘Slow down to be happier, say experts’ – Article